I made enough off the blog to be able to afford a domain name, so we got one. They aren't very expensive for a year and I hope be able to keep it up. Blogging can get expensive. If you have a blog like mine with tutorials, crafts, and such, it can really run up the costs. That is why most of the things I have posted about are things that I was going to make anyway, and not things I've done just for the sake of the blog. I just don't want to spend the money unless I can justify the costs.
I decided I could save money in the beginning by making my own logo. I really can't draw, but I can usually make doodles. Since I want Snickety Things to have a whimsical feel anyway, my doodles fit in okay.
I start by making doodles until I get something I like, then I scan it into the computer. I do this because I can't get a mouse to doodle very well and I don't have a tablet to draw on.
If you look closely, you can see where I made the doodle then traced over it with a marker to thicken the lines. It is pretty rough, but it is a start. I scan this in with the highest dpi I can so I can resize the picture later easily.
I open this up in my ten year old copy of Photoshop Elements 3 and start to trace it with the pencil tool.
I set the pencil width to be about the width of the line on the page. I then carefully go over the lines until I have recreated the drawing in a contrasting color. I know there are probably much easier ways to do this, but this is the easiest for me with the tools I have.
After I have it traced, I erase any of the lines I drew that are still showing, then fill in the red with black to make it solid.
I can save it at this point as a jpeg file, but I like to save mine without a background as a png. That seems to have given me the best options for using them mixed with other images.
I just go to the eraser tool and set it to erase the background. I just click in the white area and all of it will disappear. Very easy. See those gray squares in the above picture. If you see those, the background is clear.
Then I save as a png file and I can use it over any image.
Because my flower is a png, I can drop it onto my pictures very easily. Did you notice the new header I have?
I was able to just drop the flower between the words without worrying about hiding any of them. The header is also saved as a png so you can see the background of the blog behind it.
The vines you see on the background were also made using the flower. I just made them as a png and tiled over the background color I chose.
I know my blog doesn't have the super polished look of a purchased set, but I am happy because I did it on my own.
I am also doodling up some pictures to go along with the flower.
And, here is the new button I created to go with the new with the new header.
This post was featured at
Please check out my Link Parties page to see the blogs where I may have showcased this post. Thank you to the bloggers who host such wonderful parties.